Perfect rice, every time.
Rice seems to be one of those things that a lot of people struggle to cook consistently. Here is my fail-safe way of cooking great rice.
1. Boil the kettle.
2. Measure out the rice needed. You will need about half a regular mug of raw rice per person.
3. Rinse the rice in a sieve and leave to drain.
4. For white rice work on a rice:water ratio of 1:1.5. For wholegrain rice this should be more like 1:1.75.
5. Once the kettle is boiled, take a non stick saucepan and put it on a high heat on the smallest ring on your cooker. Add the boiling water based on the above ratios.
(So, if you are cooking white rice for 2 people, use 1 mug of rice and 1.5 mugs of water).
6. Add the rice. Add a little olive / rapeseed oil and salt. Stir the rice gently for a short while just to unstick any large lumps.
7. Put the lid on.
8. After a couple of minutes, when the water is bubbling, turn the heat down as low as it will go. Ensure the lid is fully on and stays on!
9. Cook until all the water is gone. This will take typically around 18 minutes but will take longer if you are cooking larger quantities or are cooking wholegrain rice. Take a utensil and ensure all the water has gone from the bottom as well.
Prep time: 2mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Used in this recipe:
Delivery is only £1
You don't have to be in